Temple Basin is a high alpine ski-field that sits right on the Main Divide of the Southern Alps, in the middle of Arthur's Pass National Park, surrounded by magnificent mountains. It is a club field, which means a casual and friendly atmosphere with no lift queues.
Temple Basin has 320 hectares of skiable terrain with a vertical rise of 430m. Temple Basin Ski Area covers a great variety of terrain spread over four separate basins. There are gentle slopes for complete beginners, adrenalin-pumping challenges for the expert, and everything in between. There are 3 nutcracker rope tows and one fixed grip learner tow that service an unlimited number of runs. There is a natural terrain park through Bills Basin with chutes, bowls and natural half pipes. There is also night skiing where the main tow is flood lit.
Because of its position on the Main Divide of the Southern Alps, Temple Basin receives its snow from the westerly quarter, and often has more snow than other areas. It also faces the northwest therefore it gets all-day sun. The average season snowfall is 11.5 metres!
There are two comfortable lodges that can sleep up to 120 people. These are the only residential buildings in the area and are situated right beside the main tow. The lodge provides everything you need for an enjoyable snow experience. The field specialises in packages which include all meals, accommodation and lift passes. The on-mountain bar offers plenty of great wines and delicious craft beers. Temple Basin also has full rental facilities available with a range of gear for every ability.
There’s no road to Temple Basin, it’s a 400m vertical hike to the lodges through Arthur’s Pass National Park. The hike normally takes 40min – 1hr depending of fitness. But, you do not have to carry your gear up the mountain, there is a goods-lift. It is located on the main road, 800m from the Temple Basin car park, where a lift operator will help you free of charge
Temple Basin Tips:
- Temple has a cult-like status in the club field scene, you have to stay a while to ‘get it’.
- There are no groomers or snow making to ruin powder stashes – It's as nature intended.
- The ski in and ski out lodges are rustic but very comfortable and feature drying rooms and hot showers.
- Temple Basin sets aside specific weeks/weekends just for families and offer packages for a fun family getaway. Check out the dates and availability on their website or give them a call
- Check out the events that Temple Basin put on, which includes a University Student ski and snowboard week. The prices are affordable and include a student discount and the packages are unbelievable. Grab some friends and head up to a lodge for a fun-filled stay on the mountain